A post from a long-lost blogger 53 comments
I received another of my Google Adsense cheques just recently, and was frankly quite surprised to get it because I haven't been posting for more than siz months. To be sure, I haven't been active for probably more than 2 years with my hotstocknot picks, as my last few postings were more rants on than anything else.
But this shows the quality of my blog, and I'm speaking in all frankness without bragging. The fact that people continue to come back to read my postings on various stocks several years back --- and why they should NOT buy it then --- speaks for itself. And I am pretty sure more than 90% of the hotstocknot picks have turned out to be right, based on today's prices as well as how fundamentals for the businesses have turned out. Just look at Raffles Education --- a darling when I first posted, and now a reject and a pariah stock. Or look at Lian Beng --- a construction stock which was ramped up to 60-70 cents during the heydays of the construction industry. Or how about Advanced, Autron, Biotreat, China Sun, China Petrotech, Cosco, Ellipsiz, Enviro-hub, Federal, Global Voice, Jiutian, Luzhou, Pine Agritech, Sino-Environment, Sky China, Sun East, Unifiber, Yellow Pages? All these are unmitigated "successes" of my hotstocksnot picks. My blog would, in all certainty, have been a short-seller's treasure trove.
Today since I have some time, I would just like to highlight some of the sectors in the Singapore market I'm optimistic and pessimistic about on the basis of fundamentals and general valuation, but it's up to the individual investor to decide for himself what individual stocks he would pick for the sector. Here goes:
- Commodities - All, especially agriculture
- Healthcare - look for niche and don't forget valuation
- Domestic consumption - check out Hong Kong market, don't forget Guangzhou Asian Games coming
- Tourism and retail - the "remaking of Singapore"
- High-end property
- Semiconductor components manufacturing and distribution
- Infrastructure builders - be selective, but many have dropped big-time already, so valuation is good
- Telcos - Next generation broadband will be bad for all
- Shipbuilding - the good days are gone; come back 10 years later
- Offshore oil & gas - I give you a site: ODS Petrodata, check out the utilisation rates and charter rates for rigs and you'll be scared
- Container shipping - 40-year globalisation trend is weakening
- Construction - told you need to be selective; be careful of those dependent on building residential/commercial/Singapore-centric
- Mass market property
- Hard disk drive component suppliers
If you find a stock that is not talked about, with metrics that haven't declined too much during the crisis of 2008, and which has rebounded smartly since then, and valuation still at single-digit PE or below book, and not in any of the "hot" sectors currently, then go for it. The market is currently still in a re-rating phase and will pick new stocks to re-rate week after week. Money from a new carry trade based on the US$, plus huge capital exiting China under a loosening RMB regime with China promoting internationalisation of the RMB, all point to a magnificent bull market going forward.
That's why there isn't much point for hotstocksnot picks now, or indeed over the last 2 years!